Re: Network Manager crashes when rf kill switch is Activated.

Hi all,

Find My Comments inline as follows.

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 9:19 PM, Dan Williams<dcbw redhat com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-06-09 at 18:43 +0530, sanjeev sharma wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have been observing a crash of Network Manager when experimenting
>> with the rf kill
>> switch. I was trying to flip the
>> switch before the previous switch state change had been fully processed by
>> software.
>>
>> These are the log messages i have been seeing
>>
>>  daemon.warn NetworkManager: <WARN>  nm_device_wifi_set_ssid(): error
>> setting SSID to '(null)' for device eth0: Input/output error
>>
>>  daemon.warn NetworkManager: <WARN>  wireless_get_range(): (eth0):
>> couldn't get driver range information (5).
>>
>> daemon.warn NetworkManager: <WARN>  nm_supplicant_interface_add_cb():
>> Unexpected supplicant error getting interface: wpa_supplicant couldn't
>> grab this interface.
>>
>>  daemon.warn NetworkManager: <WARN>  nm_signal_handler(): Caught
>> signal 11.   Generating backtrace...
>
> Can you gdb NM and get a backtrace where it crashes?  Obviously we're
> not handling this case correctly, but it's a bit unclear exactly where
> the error is unless there's a better backtrace.

This happens very rarely So gdb NM wouldn't be useful
enough in this case.

> The bits in question are in
> src/supplicant-manager/nm-supplicant-interface.c.  We may need to add a
> signal to the supplicant interface object for something like "invalid",
> so that we know to tear down the supplicant interface object in NM when
> it cannot be added to the supplicant.

Does Current NetworkManager source code lead to segfault if supplicant
will fail to add interface.
Which section of networkManager code will handle this
invalid Signal.
> But it actually looks like we should just fix the bug itself, since the
> rest of the code looks like it will handle re-configuring the interface
> when the device un-kills itself.  Need the backtrace for that though.

How to proceed further in case if gdb NM not possible.

sanjeev