[Fwd: Re: debug tips]-correction

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Aaron Konstam <akonstam sbcglobal net>
To: Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com>
Cc: Marc Herbert <Marc Herbert gmail com>, networkmanager-list gnome org
Subject: Re: debug tips
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 15:42:53 -0500

On Wed, 2009-06-03 at 09:49 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-06-03 at 08:40 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> > > This is a semantic argument. rl3 does not support X, rl5 does. I have
> > > never actually checked this but I would be amazed if when one runs
> > > startx the system does not switch to rl5.
> > >
> > > But I guess I will have to try it or depend on the testimony of someone
> > > who runs startx. I have been amazed before.
> > Well it is always good to be amazed at least once a day. I tried it.
> > startx does not cause rl5 to be reported by runlevel. Howver, at least
> > on my machine NM does not run the way it should.
>
> Does startx spawn the applet?  I'm pretty sure it should, since I think
> startx just starts up the normal r5 session but of course doesn't switch
> to r5.  It also depends on what levels you've got NM set to start at:
>
> chkconfig --list | grep NetworkManager
>
> should tell you that.
>
> Dan

Well you are essentially correct . startx starts a normal r5 session but
runlevel claims that the system is still at rl3. Which seems strange to
me. However one thing that does not happen (on my machine at least)
nm-applet does not start bringing up wireless. Maybe this should be
expected that the wireless is not active but I expect that I could
start it by editing the proper connection.

I must make a correction. If I run startx as a simple user I can connect to my default\
wireless connection if I enter the keyring passwd. As long as the proper services are running rh3
vs. rl5 is irrelevant.
There is nothing so easy but that it becomes difficult when you do it
reluctantly. -- Publius Terentius Afer (Terence)