Re: debug tips

I had a buggy wifi driver and rmmod and ismod on the wifi drivers would always fix my issue.

--
John

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Daniel Fetchinson <fetchinson googlemail com> wrote:

>> > NetworkManager and network are two different competitive systems to
>> > support networking. I don't say it would work but you should restart
>> > NetworkManager not network.
>>
>> Sure. But in /etc/rc3.d the order of the network related services is this:
>>
>> ip6tables
>> iptables
>> network
>> NetworkManager
>> NetworkManagerDispatcher
> Not on my machine.  NetworkManager and network are not designed to run
> at the same time. It is not clear what NM would do in run level 3
> without X. You certainly don't have a nm-applet running at rl 3 in any
> meaningful fashion.

I do boot in runlevel 3 and then start X manually with startx. After X
is running nm-applet gets started as well. There is absolutely no
problem here.

>> So I've tried stopping all 5 services and starting them in the above
>> order, because they get started in the above order while booting. But
>> already the third service, 'network', fails and wlan doesn't come up.
>> If I nevertheless restart NetworkManager and NetworkManagerDispatcher
>> I can see the wireless network in question in nm-applet but can not
>> connect. I enter the pre-shared key password but it wouldn't connect,
>> it just gives back the password window.
> Look you talk about rc3.d but if you are using nm-applet you can't be at
> run level 3 so what is in rc3.d is irrelevant.

As I've said, but let me repeat it again, I do boot into run level 3.
After logging in I start X manually via startx.

> We are having a giant miscommunication going on . What rl are you actually running at?

No, there is no miscommunication, simply you just have to believe that
it is possible to boot in runlevel 3 and then it is possible to start
X manually via startx :)