Fwd: Wireless pronlem on Ubuntu Jaunty

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Юрий Аполлов <apollovy gmail com>
Date: 2009/7/28
Subject: Re: Wireless pronlem on Ubuntu Jaunty
To: ubuntu-ru lists ubuntu com

maybe you've lost drivers for wireless?
make ifconfig and iwconfig - is there a wireless card in your system actually?

2009/7/26 Darren Albers <dalbers gmail com>

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 1:24 PM, John Graddy<jwgraddy valornet com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-07-26 at 11:47 -0500, John Graddy wrote:
>> I somehow accidentally deleted Network Manager on a Ubuntu Jaunty
>> system.  This system is a dual boot system with Windows XP being the
>> other system.  When I reinstalled Network Manager, wireless networking
>> no longer works on Ubuntu (but still works on Windows).  I have a
>> Linksys wireless N router and Linksys PCI adapter.
>>
>> I also have this system connected directly to the router with a CAT-5
>> cable.  Network Manager displays only the wired network, which works
>> fine.
>>
>> When I print via CUPS, I can print on another Ubuntu system located in a
>> different room and connected only to the wireless network.  To the best
>> of my knowledge, these two systems are running identical versions of
>> Network Manager.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> John

> I forgot to say that, when I left click on NM, the only choice that I
> get is
>
> VPN Connections > Configure VPN.
>
> John

It sounds like you configured your network manually somehow so NM will
ignore it.   Take a look at /etc/network/interfaces, it should have
nothing but auto <interface name>

For example mine looks like:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo