Re: Ethernet manual config question

On Wed, 2009-07-15 at 13:57 -0400, John Mahoney wrote:
> When an Ethernet device is configured with the Method manual is it
> possible for the interface to maintain its IP address and only remove
> the route when the carrier transitions from on to off?

Not at this time; what's planned is a delay of a few seconds before
taking the interface completely down.  I assume you're asking this
because you have apps that don't handle network changes and try to bind
to specific IP addresses then fail when the address goes away?  To some
degree apps do need to be smarter, and there are mechanisms (dispatcher
scripts) that can be used already to start/stop the affected services
when the network resources that the app expects show up and go away.