Re: NM CLI

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 9:27 AM, Dan Williams<dcbw redhat com> wrote:

> The use of python for cnetworkmanager, which while it does make
> development a *lot* quicker, is a blocker for most of the people that
> I'd consider prime candidates for a CLI client.  The target for a CLI
> client are users of headless machines that don't necessarily run a GUI,
> or even casual users of a desktop that spend most of their time in a
> terminal, or for those users of a DE (enlightenment, XFCE) that don't
> yet have a native GUI client.

I'm not really one to care much for what language this or that
software is written in, as long as it works...

But for my personal knowledge, how is cnetworkmanager using python a
problem or a blocker for candidates to use it as a CLI client? Python
is quite common on just about all systems. Most (or at least a lot) of
system configuration or administration utilities are written in it
(yum, etc.) afaik... I definitely understand how it makes development
quicker to roll out something like cnetworkmanager, but wouldn't it
also be pretty much on a standard (read minimal) server install, where
you're likely to see a headless setup? I just don't see how a language
forces people to use a GUI :)

Don't mind me, I'm just curious. I would probably have written a quite
nm utility like the one you described in python, if anything because
it seems quicker to me to get the necessary DBus bits working, for
example. I'll probably even write a simple thing to begin with and
update current procedures on the servers I manage.

/ Matt