Re: Dialling failing with PPP timeout

--On Wednesday, July 01, 2009 09:06:35 -0400 Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-06-18 at 16:40 +0100, Rick Jones wrote:
> > I get persistent failure to connect with Mobile Broadband, and this
> > seems to be a PPP timeout. Usually after a few retries it will work,
> > and I suspect NM is timing out too soon, and not giving PPP time to
> > get connected.
> > Where is this timeout set? Is it in pppd - if so is there a setting
> > in /etc/ppp/options to tweak it - or is it set by NM? I'd really llike
> > to be able to try increasing this.
>
> It's in NetworkManager itself, actually.  I don't really have a problem
> with increasing that timeout to 20 seconds or so.  But beyond that, I'd
> be *very* surprised if it would work reliably, since it would indicate
> problems on the provider's network or the card itself in setting up the
> GPRS data session.

Since I posted this (couple of weeks back) I've looked at logs more closely, and I don't think timeout is the issue. It looks like sometimes ppp just can't negotiate the link properly - maybe it's purely a pppd problem?

See my more recent post with log samples of 2G connections attached.

For completeness, I've attached the successful ppp negotiation for the 3G case, which I couldn't get before.

Regards, Rick