Re: PPPoE fails after hibernate

On Wed, 2009-07-01 at 15:40 +0200, list wrote:
> Hiho!
>
> After a suspend to disk, NetworkManager fails to connect to my PPPoE DSL
> line. I use exactly the same username & password as in my plain standard
>   init-script, however the init-script connects fine. All I can see from
> pppd right now is "LCP terminated by peer". Now how do I tell
> NetworkManager to pass the "debug" option to pppd, so I can see what's
> going on?
> NetworkManager itself does debug:
> Jul  1 15:10:52 wald NetworkManager: <debug> [1246453852.053712]
> nm_ppp_manager_start(): Command line: /usr/sbin/pppd nodetach lock
> nodefaultroute user *** plugin rp-pppoe.so nic-eth0 noauth nodeflate
> usepeerdns mru 1492 mtu 1492 lcp-echo-failure 5 lcp-echo-interval 30
> ipparam /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/PPP/7 plugin
> /usr/lib64/pppd/2.4.4/nm-pppd-plugin.so
>
> Btw: Wouldn't it be logical to also pass the "debug" option to pppd if
> nm itself debugs, too? I'd also very much appreciate a text field in the
> configuration dialog for entering arbitrary options to pppd. If this
> needs to be protected from the "average user", one could add something
> like a binary "expert mode" switch. I think implementing a "normal
> mode"/"expert mode" model could greatly improve nm's flexibility without
> compromising its usability and robustness.

Try running NM like:

NM_PPP_DEBUG=1 /usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon

to get more debugging output from pppoe.

NM is actually always in debug mode, there isn't granular enough logging
here to do what you suggest (yet).  There's a bug for this, and its
certainly something that needs to be implemented.