Re: Selecting preferred networks with NetworkManager

On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 02:24 -0500, Philip Ganchev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a technical question and I can't find a better place to ask it.
>
> In my location, NetworkManager sees several wireless networks in
> roaming mode; let's call them 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. When I start my
> computer and log into a Gnome session, NM always connects to Network
> 3, which is not protected by a password.  But I always want to connect
> to Network 1, which is the first in the list on nm-applet, has the
> strongest signal, and is protected by a WEP 64/128-bit hex password.
> Currently I have to manually select Network 1 in nm-applet. How can I
> make NM connect to Network 1 automatically?

NetworkManager will only *ever* connect to a network you've connected to
at some point before.  If you want to ensure it doesn't connect to a
network, you can remove that network with the Connection Editor
(/usr/bin/nm-connection-editor, or right-click on the menu and choose
"Edit connections...").

Of the networks you've previously connected to, NetworkManager will
attempt to connect to whatever network you were most recently connected
to that can be seen in the scan list.