Re: fedora, NM 0.7 and usb

On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 11:33 -0800, Steven King wrote:
> I have NM_CONTROLLED=no in my ifcfg-usb0 and ifcfg-fedora sees this and
> reports:
>
> 'ifcfg-fedora: Ignoring connection 'System usb0' and its device because
> NM_CONTROLLED was false.'
>
> but NM still insists on trying to auto the usb0 interface.  Is there someway
> to coerce NM to really ignore this interface?
>
> Alternatively, since the reason I'm not using NM to manage this interface is
> that I have a route-usb0 which is used by the initscripts tools, is there
> someway to get NM to apply install a local static route for a device?

Not with ifcfg files right now, no.  But you can either make it a user
connection, or enable the keyfile plugin.  To enable the keyfile plugin,
edit /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf, and add ",keyfile" to
the end of the "plugins=" line in that file.  Then "killall -TERM
nm-system-settings".  Next, ensure that SELinux is in permissive mode,
as there is currently a bug with the targeted policy that causes
failures to make connections available to everyone from the connection
editor.  Then, go into the connection editor, create a new connection
for your network device, and in the IPv4 tab, hit the "Routes..." button
and add your desired static route.  When you're all finished setting the
connection up to your liking, check the "Available to all users"
checkbox in the lower-left-hand corner, and hit Apply.  You may be asked
for the root password.  Then, you can delete your "ifcfg-usb0" file, and
NetworkManager should use the new system connection you just set up
(which will be in /etc/NetowrkManager/system-connections/).