fedora, NM 0.7 and usb

I have NM_CONTROLLED=no in my ifcfg-usb0 and ifcfg-fedora sees this and
reports:

'ifcfg-fedora: Ignoring connection 'System usb0' and its device because
NM_CONTROLLED was false.'

but NM still insists on trying to auto the usb0 interface.  Is there someway
to coerce NM to really ignore this interface?

Alternatively, since the reason I'm not using NM to manage this interface is
that I have a route-usb0 which is used by the initscripts tools, is there
someway to get NM to apply install a local static route for a device?

--
Steven King -- sfking at fdwdc dot com