Re: Fwd: Restoring NetworkManager settings

On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 14:49 -0800, Alan Evans wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> > Just ignore Auto eth0, right-click the nm-applet icon, and add a new
> > wired connection that way.  Name it whatever you want and give it
> > static addressing.  Then just select that new connection whenever you
> > want to use those settings.
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> This is workable, since I only rarely want to set up eth0 static.
> Otherwise, I want the Auto eth0 bit to kick in and do its DHCP magic
> as soon as I plug the cable in.
>
> However, at this point, I'm on a mission. The settings were once not
> disabled. Now they are. I broke something, and what I'm trying to do
> now is unbreak it.

The expected scenario here would be to have two connections, "Static
eth0" and "Auto eth0".  You'd make the "Static eth0" be autoconnect=no
(Uncheck the Connect automatically box in the connection editor), so
that only when you wanted it, you could select it.

At this time, system connections need to be edited with
system-config-network on Fedora, because the bits that write out ifcfg
files (which system-config-network uses) aren't done yet.