NetworkManager and my Palm Centro don't work

I've got Ubuntu 8.1.0 and NM 0.7.0
I have and older installation (Ubuntu 7.10) which uses the the cdc_acm driver with my Centro and it does ppp connectivity. I was hoping to get the NetworkManager to do the job with it's Mobile Broadband. I've done the following:

When the Centro is USB connexted and the USBModem program run on it, Ubuntu loads the cdc_acm driver which creates a /dev/ttyACM0 device. I made a symlink from /dev/modem to it and added myself to the dialout group in /etc/group.

I added a new Mobile Broadband connection but it doesn't show up in the NetworkManager.

Obviously, I'm missing some pieces.  How do I make it work?

TIA,
Scott