Re: UMTS Option Express Card doesnt work anymore

On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 17:44 +0100, Knud Müller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> a few days ago i realized that my intrepid cannot connect with my umts
> card to the internet. I havent used it for weeks, so I started
> searching what has changed. I found out that there are no ttyUSB
> devices anylonger but ttyHS devices appeared (and dmesg told me when i
> plug/unplug). I think its one of the new kernels with hso. Network
> Manager still recognizes the card when I remove all configurations but
> is unable to connect. Ive installed HSOconnect and I can connect so
> generally NM should also be able to. I think HSOconnect is great but
> as I use the vpn to my cisco in NM and it works brilliantly I really
> like to either get back to the old dev/ttyUSB times or let NM do it
> with hso.
>
> How can I find out what is going wrong with NM and is there any log?
> Is someone having similar problems?

Depends on what version of NetworkManager you're using; NM certainly
does support the 'hso' driver and newer Option cards (I have 3 and I
make sure they all work).  If you're using the 20081018 snapshot series
that shipped with 8.10 there may be bugs in that that have since been
fixed.  I did fix a few earlier this week that will be in NM 0.7.1
related to PIN handling.

You might be able to turn on serial debugging to help figure out what's
going wrong too.  Stop the NetworkManager service, then open a terminal,
become root, then run:

NM_SERIAL_DEBUG=1 /usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon

and then try to connect.  After it fails, grab the log output and reply
with it to this list, and we can see if that sheds some light on the
situation.