Re: NetworkManager integrated with ModemManager

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 5:07 AM, Tambet Ingo <tambet gmail com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm pleased to announce the git master branch of NetworkManager now
> uses ModemManager for all operations with modems (discovery,
> connecting, disconnecting, ...). Get the latest ModemManager from
>
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~tambet/ModemManager-0.2.tar.gz
>
> or clone it from
>
> git://anongit.freedesktop.org/ModemManager/ModemManager
>
> ModemManager is used only if available using DBus, so it's not a build
> time dependency (reduces ~1000 lines of 'bloat' when you don't need
> modems). If this change broke modem connections for you, please enable
> ModemManager debugging (either by sending SIGUSR1 to 'modem-manger'
> process or by running it with --debug), try to activate the modem and
> when it fails, send the ModemManager debug output to the list. One of
> the main reasons for ModemManager is to make it easy to add modem
> specific workarounds for specific modems but if you don't share your
> failures, they never make it to the releases.
>
> It also means you can write your own ModemManager implementation by
> having just two DBus methods (see
> 'org.freedesktop.ModemManager.Modem.Simple' from ModemManager for more
> information). An interface to 'umtsmon' anyone? wvdial? comgt? Your
> favorite tool can now be integrated with stock NetworkManager!
>
> Tambet

Tambet,

With ModemManager will the workarounds have to be done in the code or
is there some method that an end-user can drop chat script in to
ModemManager?   For example I have a Blackberry that I tether using
Barry and it has a non-standard method of creating a serial port.   I
would like to help get this working but I am not much of a developer.

Thanks!
Darren