Re: Mobile Broadband : 2G/3G preference

On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 10:14 +0000, Rick Jones wrote:
> --On Thursday, February 05, 2009 18:20:47 -0500 Dan Williams
> <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
> >
> > We plan on making this available when ModemManager integration is
> > committed.  Unfortunately, every manufacturer implements the 2G/3G
> and
> > Roaming preferences using different commands, thus we have to
> > special-case many modems, and this wasn't possible until
> ModemManager.
>
> OK, sounds promising. I'm not aware of ModemManager, is this something
> that exists already or is it a new adjunct to NM? I guess this is
> where SMS support would belong.

It's something Tambet started when it became clear we couldn't keep
piling hacks into NetworkManager itself in a maintainable fashion.  It's
also hosted in freedesktop git:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/ModemManager/ModemManager/

Yes, this is where SMS support would belong.  It's already got
interfaces to do that.