Re: Internet Connection Sharing

On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 11:31:29AM -0800, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-12-06 at 19:24 +0000, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> > Looking at a video Dan Williams posted to Redhat Magazine shows enabling
> > it is now as simple as creating the new connection in ad-hoc mode with ipv4
> > settings as 'available to other computers' but on my F12 system this doesn't
> > start dnsmasq etc. Is it still required to set this all up manually or does nm do
> > all that's required now?
>
> Basically, you need an existing connection to the internet.  Then you
> create another "shared" connection that your other computers will
> access.  When you have both of those, then NM will start dnsmasq and
> everything and NAT the "shared" connection to the main internet
> connection.
>
> If you've already got an internet connection, then just choose "Create
> new wireless network..." from the menu, type in the details, and it
> should set that new network up.  You can then connect to that adhoc wifi
> network from other computers, and they will get IP addresses via DHCP
> from your machine.

I sometimes find myself in scenarios where I have a wireless
connection to the internet that I'd like to share with wired-only
devices (no wifi cards in them).  How hard would it be to make the
"Create new wireless network..." dialog generic like "Share network
connection..."?  Basically, I would like to be able to share any
active internet connection to any other medium, wired or wireless or
whatever.