Re: Problem with Simple.Connect

On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 12:36 +0100, Pablo Martí Gamboa wrote:

> 2009/11/2 Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com>
>         On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 15:01 +0100, Pablo Martí Gamboa wrote:
>         >
>         >
>         > 2009/10/26 Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com>
>         >
>         >         On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 13:36 +0100, Pablo Martí
>         Gamboa wrote:
>         >
>         >
>         >         > Also I'm having reliability problems with PPP
>         devices and
>         >         > Simple.Connect, first attempt will work (most of
>         the time)
>         >         but the
>         >         > second will never.
>         >
>         >
>         >         That may be because the data session is not properly
>         torn down
>         >         by either
>         >         Disconnect or Enable(false).  Not sure though, I
>         have seen
>         >         this at
>         >         various times too and haven't been able to pin it
>         down.
>         >          Usually some
>         >         combination of init strings end up fixing this.
>         >
>         >
>         > It seems other users are having pppd_timeout() problems too:
>         >
>         >
>         >
>         https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/393094
>         >
>         https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/407519
>         >
>         https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/432205
>         >
>         >
>         > Is it possible they are related?
>

>         I spent some time last week implementing and testing the DTR
>         switch and
>         doing "ATH" after doing so.  I'm still working through that
>         this week,
>         among other things.
>
>         For most modems, terminating PPP will make the modem return to
>         command
>         mode and reply with NO CARRIER.  But I believe there are some
>         modems
>         that will not necessarily do so.
>

> Any progress on this front? :)

Yes.  I'm finishing up the modem states changes (an internal
implementation detail of MM) at which point I'll be applying a previous
patch for DTR toggling as part of a 'disconnect' cleanup.  For modems
that have multiple ports (and aren't special like mbm or hso) we can
disconnect more easily here, as we can deactivate the PDP context on the
other TTY and thus ensure the connection is really down before we try to
break into the PPP stream.  The other complication is that NM for
example does try to give PPP time to gracefully exit, and we should
actually fix NM to only call disconnect when it knows that PPP has
terminated.