Re: NM-vpn no vpn secrets

On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 13:21 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Neal Becker wrote:
>
> > I can start vpn fine using service openvpn start.  But using nm-
> > applet,
> > it doesn't work.
> > Any ideas what I need to do here?
>
> What exactly is the point of NM-vpn?
>
> I am running NM on my laptops, which are also OpenVPN clients,
> and this appears to work perfectly well.
> How does NM-vpn improve on this?

It allows NM to manage the network connections and routes based on the
VPN's responses and user overrides.  It also provides a sane graphical
UI over the most common VPN configuration options.  It also allows
generic scripts to plug into the NM event system and perform custom
actions when certain VPN connections go up or down.  There's a bit of
work to do to get more of the common options handled however.  Even
right now you could have your application only connect to your corporate
IRC server or email server *only* when your VPN is active for example.
That's a lot harder with the ad-hoc mechanisms that most VPN clients
currently use.