Failing to handle the Static and DHCP interfaces simultaneously

Hi Folks,
              I have a setup which consists of one wired interface and one wireless(wifi interface). The wired interface(eth0) is to have a dhcp address and it is connected to a backbone network. The wireless interface is connected to a trusted WLAN and hence has static ip.
The contents of my /etc/network/interfaces is ->

# Used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8). See the interfaces(5) manpage or
# /usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples for more information.
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
address 192.168.1.1
netmask 255.255.255.0

Now the problem is that upon reboot eth0 gets dhcp address but the default gateway is set to 192.168.1.1 and so dns resolution fails.
I tried  putting up route del gw etc. - no use.

Also I can not use GUI tools like NetworkConnections and can not use the hence created files. Only command line is available.
As a tryout I tried to change "never_default" but to no avail.
The order is ethernet > wifi. So default gateway should be assigned related to eth0 interface rite?

What is going wrong here?
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Salil