Re: Phantom wireless device

Strangely, this problem has gone away as mysteriously as it appeared.

I was away from home last w/e, with netbook (which I almost never shut down, just stays on standby). I opened it up, turned off WiFi, tried to get online with MB dongle, at which point the whole OS locked up. I gave up and powered it down, and didn't in fact use it for 2 days until I was back home. Booted up, and the wireless device was working normally.

On reflection I think it may have been a BIOS screwup. When I tried to recover by re-booting previously, I didn't actually power down, just did a sytem restart. The full power-off/on which I was forced into because of it crashing must have been what fixed it, and is presumably a deeper initialisation of BIOS, ACPI etc than just a restart.

I think Linux is off the hook!

--
Cheers
Rick