Re: Phantom wireless device

On Thu, 2009-08-20 at 13:38 +0100, Rick Jones wrote:
> I've suddenly started getting strange behaviour with my WiFi device.
> It's appearing twice in the NM applet with different names.
>
> It's actually a RaLink RT2860, but it's additionally being identified
> as Intel 82801G. Looking in the logs both IDs are device ra0, which is
> getting NM a bit confused. Sometime it connects, sometimes it fails
> and hangs. The NM daemon also dies periodically which I suspect is
> related.

Maybe, any chance you can run with --no-daemon in gdb (remember to
'handle SIGCHLD nostop pass' and 'handle SIGTERM nostop pass') and get a
backtrace?

Also, please run 'nm-tool' to get the definitive device list when you
see this happening to ensure that it's not a bug in libnm-glib.  I've
seen something like this with mobile broadband adapters in the past few
days that I haven't been able to characterize yet (don't have a reliable
reproducer) so it may actually be libnm-glib's fault.

Dan