Opening the nm-applet with a keypress?

Hi, I am making a Debian Lenny based distro for partially sighted and blind
users, and there is no way of accessing the nm-applet for someone using a
screen reader on the version currently supported on Lenny. Is there a simple
command I can use to open the list of available networks? On newer versions
blind users are able to navigate to icon and open the menu, but not on this
version. I can left click to get the list, and I have created a menu entry
using the 'nm-editor' command which allows me to simulate a right click. I am
hoping there is a simple command that will allow me to achieve this, as I
would rather use network manager than wicd or anything else. Please put me
out of my misery - I have been googling for days but found no answer to this.

drbongo