Re: Fedora 10 fine but Fedora 12 not so fine

On Sun, 2009-08-02 at 23:35 -0400, Grid Access wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Thanks for the the wonderful NetworkManager.
>
> I have a CDMA modem that I got working in Fedora 10. I used to
> modprobe usbserial with the vendor and product id.

Ok, so what we need to do here is to add the device IDs to the proper
kernel driver.  That's usually the 'option' driver, but it depends on
the vendor of your mobile broadband device.  What's the 'lsusb' output
for your modem?

NetworkManager will only probe known mobile-broadband device drivers,
and usbserial is way too generic to always be probed.  Thus, the correct
solution is to ensure that your device is driven by the right kernel
driver.  That will also make your device faster, since usbserial isn't
meant for higher-speed devices like 3G modems :)

Dan