Re: Second message, about not being able to activate 'wlan1'

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 4:54 PM, derek starr <dereklinux gmail com> wrote:
To Rui Tiago Cação Matos,

I have been busy with other matters, so I have not had a chance to respond to your answer regarding my problem of not being able to activate 'wlan1' with the GNOME NetworkManager, using the 'Fedora 11' Linux distribution.

You said of the files below:
'less /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices':
> drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root 4096 2009-07-27 08:42 ./
> drwxr-xr-x. 4 root root 4096 2009-04-14 07:25 ../
> -rw-r--r--. 1 root root  153 2009-07-27 08:47 ifcfg-eth0
> -rw-r--r--. 1 root root  198 2009-07-27 08:47 ifcfg-wlan1
> -rw-------. 1 root root    5 2009-07-27 08:47 keys-wlan1

"Try to delete (or move away) all those 3 files. Then reboot your
system and click the network icon on the gnome-panel (top right screen
corner by default)."

These are Distro configs that NM tries to make sense of.  I do not believe they can be deleted through the GUI.  Check this recent post for info:

http://www.mail-archive.com/networkmanager-list gnome org/msg13444.html

I just do not want to delete files being 'root'.  I would rather use the NetworkManager applet, or as you said -> the network icon on my GNOME panel.  I am just not clear what the network icon looks like.  The top right screen corner only shows the date and time on my GNOME panel bar.

I have an icon on my panel bar that shows two computer terminal screens on top of each other.  Is that the network icon?  When I click on that icon, it shows the following lines in a small window:
     Wired Network ( highlited in a gray color )
     Auto eth0  ( highlited in a black color, with black dot on the left )
     Wireless Networks ( highlited in a gray color )
     wireless is disabled ( highlited in a gray color )
     VPN connections ( highlited in a black color, with a right arrow on the right )

As I said previously, when I try to activiate 'wlan1' in NetWorkManager, I always get an error message box, saying 'wlan1' cannot be activated.  The dialog message box never says why 'wlan1' cannot be activated.

Can you, or anybody else, help me?  I am just not very good about figuring out how the GNOME NetworkManager works.

Derek Starr