Re: Network Manager does not find system wide connections

Dan Williams wrote:

> There are two reasons I've not yet added pre-up and pre-down.  They are:

Whatever reasons there might be to have or not to have a pre-up and pre-down
phase:

Omitting them in a single tool is simply the wrong place.

Many packets for debian/ubuntu  are designed for the four phases of
the ifup/down system of debian for pretty good reasons.

If someone believes that this is wrong, then it should be discussed in
general
and not just omitted randomly by a single tool breaking the distribution
policy.

I am fully aware that network manager has never been designed for
debian/ubuntu,
and is a redhat tool (although I am astonished that these good reasons
should not apply
to any distribution, e.g. security reasons).

I do not see any reason why NetworkManager should not call external
pre-up and pre-down
commands/scripts. It is the admin's or package maintainers problem if
this script does not
work properly. Leave it empty if you want.

However, if NetworkManager is strictly designed to not support more than
two phases, then
it might fit into RedHat, but not into the four phases-system of debian
and ubuntu. Then it
is simply the wrong tool for these distributions and the wrong decision
to choose it.

Beyond the dispute whether two or four phases should be supported,
Network Manager
does not pass the required Information to the up/down scripts.

Expecting the scripts to retrieve details with a given UUID over dbus is
error prone and
bad design, and it does not make the script run any faster.

I still believe that Network Manager is based on too many design
mistakes requires
a severe redesign and improved programming style (or replacement for
ubuntu).

regards
Hadmut