ppp strangeness

I only have one remaining problem with mobile broadband, which I don't think is really anything to do with NM, but maybe some of the knowledgeable people here might be able to provide some insight.

It's a problem establishing the ppp session, and only happens when the modem falls back to 2G, when out of range of a 3G connection. I've attached some syslog outputs which show the ppp exchange for when 2G fails, for when it succeeds, and the normal 3G case.

The connection only succeeds about one time in 5. I suspect it's a carrier issue, but I just wonder if there is anything that can be done to overcome it, maybe by tweaking the default ppp options?

Modem is a ( horrible :) ZTE MF627.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks, Rick