Re: [WISH] Make NM autodetect if it can reach the internet

On Wed, 2009-04-29 at 00:31 +0300, Maxim Levitsky wrote:
> It would be very nice to know if Internet is reachable or not.
> It could be done by pinging a server or a server from a list.
> (of course there is a risk of dos attack, running up the bill, etc)

Exactly; thus this option *cannot* be the default until either there is
infrastructure to handle it, some some better mechanism.

> But, today, at least ubuntu _always_ uses ntpdate to update the time,
> each time I connect to the Internet. can't you integrate this into NM?

Perhaps, that could be one additional source of connection information.
It might make sense to try a few in parallel.

> Probably time is updated only once at connection, but still this at
> least will show if connection is active.
>
> Plus, you could add an 'optional' setting to ping a user specified
> server at, user specified interval. (disabled by default)

Yes, that's a patch I'd review; somebody mentioned HTTP pings too.