Re: DHCP fall back to link-local? (IPv4)

Marc Herbert wrote:
> As an alternative solution, maybe I could try to have dhclient (instead
> of NetworkManager) execute avahi-autoipd ? This would require increasing
> the timeout in NetworkManager higher than the one in dhclient, do you
> think this is feasible?

NM supports dhcpcd-4.x and better, which in turn supports ZeroConf. NM
explicitly disables dhcpcd ZeroConf support via a command line switch.
Remove this switch in the NM source and you get this behaviour.

DHCP
DHCP
timeout
ZEROCONF
DHCP
DHCP
ASSIGNED DHCP
DROP ZERCONF

It also defends it's IPv4LL address.

Because of the way ZeroConf is designed to work, putting the work into
the DHCP client makes perfect sense :)

If your distro doesn't ship dhcpcd-4, you can get the source from here
http://roy.marples.name/projects/dhcpcd

Thanks

Roy