VPN Plugin: concepts questions

Hi,

I want to clarify the conceptual overview of how a VPN service plugin works; so I'm looking for answers to some generic-type questions

Where does the the "VPN Service object" will exist in the DBUS world  - user session or system session?

Does the VPN Service object have root privileges?

Where is a user's VPN connection definition (a set of properties) is stored?

I'm trying to sketch this out in the form of a logical flow diagram, but the information available seems sketchy. Is there a flow diagram with respect to DBUS communications for vpn plugins?

This is what I think it looks like right now:
            DBUS
NM----------|
NM-VPN----|
                  |----VPNPlugin
applet------|            |-> Properties Configurator

My understanding is that the user interacts with the applet, that sends msgs to the NM service via DBUS, and in the case of a VPN plugin operation; NM sends to NM-VPN (vpn manager) which sends to the VPN Plugin itself for handling. Is this correct?

Is it acceptable for the VPNPlugin implementation to spin-off a helper process to "watch" the vpn SA status or does NM just poll on an interval via DBUS? I'm thinking about the case when the remote side terminates the connection - how does NM become informed of this change of state?

Is is acceptable for there to exist a version dependency between a VPN service plugin and the underlying VPN service it's abstracting (ie: nm-vpnc only works with version X.Y.Z of vpnc client)?
- If not: Is it an acceptable alternative to spawn external helper utilities to control a connection and get it's status?

I see the roadmap for NM talks about multiple devices active. Does that include VPN connections? Does a VPN plugin have to support that feature?

Will there be an 'IP6_config' method required soon; ie: IPV6 support?

Thanks,
Steve.