Re: NM 0.7.0.100 and Slackware

On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 22:58 +0200, Sasa Ostrouska wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 10:27 PM, Michael Biebl <biebl debian org> wrote:
> > Sasa Ostrouska wrote:
> >> Dear Michael,
> >
> > Hi Sasa, please keep the mailing list in CC
>
> Hehe, didnt even know that I have mailed you directly :) sorry, will
> pay more attention on that :)

> >> Corrected it to be dhcpcd

> >> Corrected it to point to /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.4

> >> You are wright about that, so I cut of that line.
> >>
> >> So here is another nm-serial3.txt file attached with the output I got after
> >> recompilling it with the right options.

> >> NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (eth0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) complete.
> >> NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (eth0) Stage 3 of 5 (IP Configure Start) started...
> >> NetworkManager: <info>  (eth0): device state change: 5 -> 7
> >> NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (eth0) Beginning DHCP transaction.
> >> eth0: dhcpcd 4.0.12 starting
> >> NetworkManager: <info>  dhcpcd started with pid 15991
> >> NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (eth0) Stage 3 of 5 (IP Configure Start) complete.
> >> Error: Could not acquire the NM DHCP client service. Message: (org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied) Connection ":1.59" is not allowed to own the service "org.freedesktop.nm_dhcp_client" due to security policies in the configuration file
> >> eth0: broadcasting for a lease
> >> eth0: offered 192.168.1.104 from 192.168.1.1
> >> eth0: acknowledged 192.168.1.104 from 192.168.1.1
> >> eth0: checking 192.168.1.104 is available on attached networks
> >> eth0: leased 192.168.1.104 for 259200 seconds
> >> Error: Could not acquire the NM DHCP client service. Message: (org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied) Connection ":1.61" is not allowed to own the service "org.freedesktop.nm_dhcp_client" due to security policies in the configuration file
> >> NetworkManager: <info>  Device 'eth0' DHCP transaction took too long (>45s), stopping it.
> >> eth0: received SIGTERM, stopping
> >> Error: Could not acquire the NM DHCP client service. Message: (org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied) Connection ":1.62" is not allowed to own the service "org.freedesktop.nm_dhcp_client" due to security policies in the configuration file
> >> NetworkManager: <info>  eth0: canceled DHCP transaction, dhcp client pid 15991
> >
> > So, this looks much better now.
>
> Good to hear that.
> >
> > As a next step, please make sure, the NetworkManager dbus policy files  are
> > installed in /etc/dbus-1/system.d/ and dbus is reloaded/restarted afterwards.
> >

> > Michael
> >

> Ok will check all that dbus stuff if it is in, from what I know it
> should be in, but its better to recheck twice.
> Another thing it makes me mad, is why every time I start NM it resets
> my hostname to localhost.localdomain ????
>
> After that is really impossible to do anything on the machine.

The next thing you want to do is write a Slackware system settings
plugin that will read wherever Slackware stores the persistent hostname,
and provide that hostname to NetworkManager.  Then implement reading of
the normal slackware network config scripts so NM can transparently use
the existing system network config.

That will make your problem here go away.  The problem is that nothing
is telling NM what your intended hostname should be.