Re: How to connect to a WPA network that uses 10 hexadecimal digits as password

Jaap A. Haitsma wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 03:07, Aaron Konstam <akonstam sbcglobal net> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 08:06 +0200, Jaap A. Haitsma wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm in a hotel currently and the wifi uses WPA encryption and password
>>> is a 10 digit hexadecimal number. When I use this number in Windows it
>>> works fine. However if I use NetworkManager it doesn't. If I look at
>>> the password that's actually being stored by NetworkManager I a
>>> hexadecimal number that is much larger. I'm assuming that's the hash
>>> of the password I'm entering. However I think in this case it should
>>> not take the hash but use the 10 digit hexadecimal number directly.
>>>
>>> Is this possible in NetworkManager?
>>> Are my assumptions correct? (I've never seen this WPA with a 10digit
>>> hexadecimal password before)
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Jaap
>> Yes it is possible. Are you sure you are entering it as a hex numver not
>> aas a passphrase ot Asci string. Is the stored passwd filled with ascii
>> number representations which would make it longer.
>
> I'm not entering the it as a hex numver, because I don't know how to
> do this. I don't see an option for that. I've just tried prefixing the
> hex password with with 0x, but that also does not work

Please post the output of 'iwlist scan'. That should indicate what style of
encryption is being used.

To answer your first question, if a 10 character phrase consisting of 0-9 and
A-F were used as the WPA "secret", it would not be special and would be
converted to a 32-digit hex key just like any other phrase.

Larry