From: Tambet Ingo [mailto:tambet gmail com]
Sent: Friday, April 03, 2009 2:33 AM
To: Hooker, Jonathan
Cc: networkmanager-list gnome org
Subject: Re: Issue with Auto eth0

2009/4/3 Hooker, Jonathan <Jonathan Hooker garmin com>:
> Hi,
>
> I am a system administrator for a large (300+) fedora desktop
> environment and am in the process of creating a new image to deploy to
> all of my developers. I have been having issues with setting up NM to
> connect properly to our dhcp servers so that we can configure forward
> dns lookups. Basically what I have done is create an Auto Ethernet
> connection which has the following gconf settings:
>
>  /system/networking/connections/1/ipv4:
>   routes = []
>   addresses = []
>   method = auto
>   dhcp-hostname = testd63fed
>   dhcp-client-id = nixdns-testd63fed
>   dns-search = [garmin.com,ad.garmin.com,nix.garmin.com]
>   name = ipv4
>   dns = []
>  /system/networking/connections/1/802-3-ethernet:
>   name = 802-3-ethernet
>   duplex = full
>  /system/networking/connections/1/connection:
>   id = Auto Ethernet
>   timestamp = 1238728735
>   type = 802-3-ethernet
>   uuid = 2d204a05-4c70-4080-ad23-34b53d5a95fe
>   name = connection
> The problem is that this does not by default start when the system
> does. I have also tried putting these settings in the root user's
> gconf. Is there any way I can tell Network Manager to by default
> select Auto Ethernet as opposed to the standard System eth0? I know
> that System eth0 pulls from my ifcfg-eth0 scripts but there is no way
> I can tell of sending the dhcp-hostname and dhcp-client-id back to the
> dhcp server without using this or dhclient. I would really like for
> all of my network device settings to be managed from the same program. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

NetworkManager has two types of setting providers: User settings (from gconf, available only while the user is logged in) and System settings (always available). System settings have different sources (plugins) that allow taking configuration data from multiple sources (distro specific shell script setups, NM's own store, ...). The problem with supporting these different sources is that they never match one to one with NM - Missing variables, extra variables, variables with slightly different meanings, ...

So you'll want a "System setting" with NM's own store. Here's how you can do it:

* Modify /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf file's [main] section, 'plugins' keyword so it only has "keyfile" (NM's native settings storage):
plugins=keyfile

That'll make sure you have a writable plugin and the distro one (which doesn't provide all the options you require) doesn't interfere. Put that changed configuration to your deployment image.

* Restart nm-system-settings by issuing 'sudo killall nm-system-settings'. NetworkManager will restart it automatically.
This step is needed to make the system settings provider use the new configuration from step 1.

* As any logged in user, open the connection editor (nm-applet's right-click menu, Edit Connections...), create the configuration you'd like to use, and check "Available to all users". The last step is important, that's the switch between User connections and System connections. You want system connection, aka available to all users.

This last step will create a configuration file in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ directory that contains all the connection information. Put that to your deployment image.

With these settings, NetworkManager will activate the connection on system boot, before any user is logged in, using all the settings known to NM.

Tambet

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential material for the sole use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender and delete all copies.

Thank you for your cooperation