Re: autoconnect was:networkmanager

Dan Williams wrote:
> NM will (by default) remember wifi access points you've connected to
> before, and if you come in range of one it'll try to automatically
> connect to that AP (unless you've told it not to).

Isn't this a security flaw? We have two vpn networks at campus:
campusnet - no encryption, private net - you have to authenticate using
vpn to get online or use web based logon
Eduroam - encrypted, real address directly

If a cracker put up an unencrypted network with ssid campusnet, our
laptops would connect automatically to it exposing it to the crackers
manipulated dns and other goodies, making hostile takeovers a breeze.

You should try to prevent this, or is this something we should take into
account when setting this up? Asking the user to "watch out" is like
believing in Santa Claus..

If the cracker put up an encrypted (or unencrypted) network with ssid
Eduroam that accept all passwords, will NM connect to it?

Regards,
Bjørge