Re: Multiple questions about NM 0.7 on Debian

On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 13:44 -0400, Nicolas GIRARD wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm testing NM 0.7 on a Debian based system with multiple NICs (server
> configuration w/o X11). After much tinkering and reading the ML
> archive, I must admit that I'm struggling to get things up and
> running. In particular, I have a few questions:
>
> (1) Is NM meant to be used without a D-Bus session bus, i.e using the
> system bus instead ? For some reasons,
> my ini-type files are getting ignored so I tried using nm-connection-
> editor to spit out something of interest as described here [1] but it
> is complaining about not being able to hook up on the session bus
> (which does not exist since I don't have x-window on the machine)

Yes, NM doesn't use the session bus at all.

> (2) I used to rely on custom dhclient-exit-hooks (from dhcp3) to set
> up some policy routing. As I understand it, NM is relying nm-dhcp-
> client.action instead of calling dhclient. Is there a way of telling
> to call custom scripts after dhcping an interface ?

If you have basic routing needs, you can add routes (or override the
automatically determined ones from DHCP or VPN) in the connection
editor.  Otherwise, you can add a dispatcher script to do the same thing
if you really want to.  Google around for them, the format is the same
in 0.7 though with 0.7 you get both the IPv4 and DHCPv4 configs added to
the scripts environment.

> (3) I would like my resolv.conf to stay unmodified as I bring
> interface up and down. What is the best way to proceed ?

Why is that?  NM needs to merge information from various sources into
your resolv.conf, plus that configuration certainly won't be valid once
the interface is down.  You can add your own custom search domains and
DNS servers for each connection if you like though.  Could you describe
your use-case a bit more here?