Re: Wireless Connection w/Ubuntu

On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 09:33 -0400, Rich Taylor wrote:
> I am new to using Linux and am learning as I go along. I’m using the
> latest version of Ubuntu with an older Toshiba laptop. Everything
> seems to work fine except I cannot get it to recognize the wireless
> network. If I connect via Ethernet cable the network is fine and I can
> use the Internet with no problem, but disconnecting and trying to use
> wireless, nothing.
>

> I have a Linksys card. I have tried to set up the connection giving
> the ESSID info and the WEP key info. It is also set for DCHP.
> Everything says that it should see the system, but nothing. The
> wireless controller is recognized, but it will not see the router.

>From a terminal as the 'root' user (type 'sudo su -' and enter your own
password when it asks) can you do the following?

/sbin/iwlist wlan0 scan

You might need to replace the 'wlan0' with the device name of whatever
your wireless device is, you can find that pretty easily by looking at
the output of '/sbin/iwconfig'.

Is your access point listed in the scan results?  Does it have the SSID
you expect?