Wireless Connection w/Ubuntu

I am new to using Linux and am learning as I go along. I’m using the latest version of Ubuntu with an older Toshiba laptop. Everything seems to work fine except I cannot get it to recognize the wireless network. If I connect via Ethernet cable the network is fine and I can use the Internet with no problem, but disconnecting and trying to use wireless, nothing.

I have a Linksys card. I have tried to set up the connection giving the ESSID info and the WEP key info. It is also set for DCHP. Everything says that it should see the system, but nothing. The wireless controller is recognized, but it will not see the router.

I have been to so many forums and websites with try this approaches that I am thoroughly confused by now. I like Ubuntu, but have also tried several other iterations of Linux including Mandriva, Kdu, etc. None of them see that darned card. I don’t want to spend extra money on another wireless card only to find out that it does not work either.

Looking for a sure-fire method of connecting wirelessly.

Rich