networkmanager causes gnome to not be able to open any programs

I have been having this problem for a while now and it has seemed random. All of a sudden I can't open any more programs, nothing happens. If I try to open a program in a console I get something like:

gedit
No protocol specified
Cannot open display:
Run 'gedit --help' to see a full list of available command line options.

I check the display variable and it looks fine. I finally narrowed it down to something with networkmanager. I will be fine until I switch networks in networkmanager. If networkmanager always stays on the same network I am fine, but if I dare change networks I am then forced to kill X and re-log back in to be able to open anything new.

What is causing this? Has anyone else experienced it?