Re: Auto-connection seems cumbersome when SSID broadcast is turned off.

On Sat, 2008-10-25 at 10:54 -0400, Geoff Buchan wrote:
> Hi all -
>
> Apologies if this topic has come up before. I tried searching the list
> and didn't see any discussion of it.
>
> I'm using NetworkManager and the nm-applet v0.6.6 on Ubuntu, and it is
> frequently slow to find my wireless network at home when I resume from
> suspend-to-RAM. Sometimes it finds the network and connects almost
> immediately, but at other times it may take minutes to see the
> network. What's interesting is that if I manually click "Connect to
> Other Wireless Network" and retype my encryption key, it does find the
> network right away. But if I simply wait, or click on the applet to
> prod a network scan, it often takes quite a while to connect, or I get
> tired of waiting, so I manually type in the connection information.

This is usually indicative of driver bugs, but not always.  If the
driver is reasonably up-to-date (and supports scan capabilities) it
should be able to be found.

The other possibility is that the NM behavior that recognizes cached
BSSIDs is broken.  That would be the first place I would look.  When
it's hidden, does your AP show up in the scan results, only without an
SSID?  If that's the case, then it may be an NM bug.  If it does not
show up in repeated scan results at all (even with a blank SSID) then
it's a driver bug most likely.

If it does show up, then it could be that NM's matching code is broken.
Could you turn off NetworkManager and upon resume, do a few 'iwlist
wlan0 scan' commands separated by 15 seconds each or so?  Look in the
results for your AP.  Let me know if it does or doesn't show up.  Also,
what wireless hardware and what wireless driver?

Dan