Re: stupid question - duplicated list ? (ALMOST solved! - correction)

Sorry, folks, previous message got sent out accidentally
(webmail form submits on [Enter] key... bad design!)

>>wlan3: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/net_00_1d_d9_5f_d9_04
>>wlan3: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/net_00_1d_d9_5f_d9_04_2
>>
>>Which means HAL sees two wireless adapters.  Same thing on the latitude.
>>So this is actually a HAL bug.  If HAL stops thinking there are two wifi
>>cards, then NM will stop thinking there are two.
>
>Prompted by the above I upgraded the (Fedora 9 stock) hal package to versions
>0.5.11-2.fc9 (yum update) and 0.5.11rc2 (had to compile the latter for the
>64bit fedora, since no 64bit package avail.), and, lo and behold, the pesky
>duplication is gone! Whew!!

I have to qualify my jubilation above:

I was wrong to assume that upgrading hal fixed the duplication problem.  It turns out that RESTARTING haldaemon makes the duplication go away, temporarily, until the next reboot. (In both of the upgrades i mentioned, i, naturally, restarted haldaemon after upgrading hal, but after a reboot the duplication came back)

>As has been said many times, many ways -- you da man!
>:-)

(Although, Dan, you still identified the source of the problem correctly, of course)

>Well, I've never seen it on F9 machines ....
> It _could_ be related to udev rules for
>renaming network devices as well.
>
>Could you try removing /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and
>then reboot and see if the devices go away?
>
>What version of the udev package do you have installed? I think the
>latest is udev-124-2.fc9.

i still have not exhausted my new debugging tasklist or new googling keywords, since your reply, but it's taking a while, so here are some preliminary findings:

moving /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent... did not help. If anything, it may have made my X session hang (i'm still investigating, can't get back into gnome, possibly other causes)

On both systems the udev is "udev-120-5.20080421git.fc9*"

thanks
andrew