Re: stupid question - duplicated list ? (solved!)

>fruitless.

>networks

>> >identical lists. And I don't think i've ever been in the midst of multiple
>
>> >distinct AP's whose names coincide.

>> >((although with the same exact OS, thus far: Fedora 9 -- i've installed
>lots
>> >of F9's lately), I got/get the duplication.  I almost started thinking it
>was
>> >the intended norm.

>> >yum-updated a few.  One I am looking at at the moment has
>> >exceping the *-openvpn, which is *svn3632
>> >
>> >These aren't the latest updates, you probably want the newest bits and
>> >the newest kernel at least.  But they won't help your problem.

>source
>> >(with your latest alterations).  Same exact manifestation with this
>> >home-built, hacked version. I see Two identical lists, one below the other.
>
>> >Each has the grayed header "Wireless Networks (Belkin AR2413 802.11bg
>NIC)"
>>
>> Whatever the cause -- again, it seems to have been pervasive across the many
>Fedora 9 installations i've performed over the last few months, on a variety
>of systems.
>>
>> I have NEVER seen the drop-down list WITHOUT duplication - except, perhaps,
>briefly, for a few seconds after the very first use (but I can't vouch for
>that last bit)
>>
>> >So this is the problem, NM thinks you have two wireless cards in your
>> >machine.  That's most definitely a HAL/kernel issue.  What kernel
>> >version do you have installed?
>> >
>> >Can you mail me the output of 'lshal' and 'iwconfig' from the command
>> >line?
>>
>> the following link has the uname, lshal and iwconfig outputs for two dell
>laptop. The latitude is the one with the NW hack.

   <snip URL>

>On the inspiron, you've got:
>
>wlan3: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/net_00_1d_d9_5f_d9_04
>wlan3: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/net_00_1d_d9_5f_d9_04_2
>
>Which means HAL sees two wireless adapters.  Same thing on the latitude.
>So this is actually a HAL bug.  If HAL stops thinking there are two wifi
>cards, then NM will stop thinking there are two.

Prompted by the above I upgraded the (Fedora 9 stock) hal package to versions 0.5.11-2.fc9 (yum update) and 0.5.11rc2 (had to compile the latter for the 64bit fedora, since no 64bit package avail.), and, lo and behold, the pesky duplication is gone! Whew!!

As has been said many times, many ways -- you da man!
:-)

>You should probably file a bug against the 'hal' package so that the
>maintainer can figure out why HAL thinks there are two wifi cards.  Does
>'ifconfig -a' show two?

no, does and has always shown one of each unique device