Re: How to connect to a specified wireless access point via network manager's dbus service?

On Sat, 2008-10-18 at 23:47 +0800, Zhe Su wrote:
> Hi,
>   I'm writing an application which needs to control network manager
> via its dbus service, especially to connect the wifi to a specified
> access point. I'm using openSUSE 11 with network manager 0.7. After
> reading the documentation and source code of network manager applet, I
> found that a connection object must be created for the access point
> before calling network manager to activate the ap. However seems that
> it's only possible to create connection object by using functions
> provided by libnm-{glib,utils}. There is no corresponding methods
> exported through dbus. But I don't want to make my application depend
> on libnm.
>   So I'm wondering if there is any way to achieve my goal with nm's
> dbus service only?

Do you expect the applet to be running alongside your program?
_Something_ needs to provide the Connection details to NetworkManager,
and right now that's the applet.  If you want to replace the applet  and
provide your own org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings service,
that would work.

Once you have provided the connection object over D-Bus, NM can find it,
and you can tell NM to activate that connection.  You can BSS-lock that
connection to the particular AP you're interested in.