Re: nm-applet and NetworkManager svn after 29 Sept

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 5:45 AM, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
On Sat, 2008-10-11 at 19:10 +1100, James . wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 7:07 PM, James . <jazzrz86 gmail com> wrote:
>         I use a couple of laptops with iwl3945 and one with rt2860sta
>         and I connect to three wireless access points on a daily
>         basis. One is WEP, one is WPA Personal and one is WPA
>         Enterprise with PEAP (university).
>
>         With previous versions of Networkmanager before around 29th of
>         September, connections to WEP and WPA Personal through
>         nm-applet worked fine. Recently I noticed that I can only
>         connect to wireless access points with security of WEP or less
>         through nm-applet gui. If I click on the wireless connection
>         through clicking on the icon and selecting a WPA security
>         connection, the following error results:
>

> "Couldnt create default connection" in activate helper function.
>
> I discovered was that NetworkManager or nm-applet is no longer passing
> correct security flags, and the function get_secrets falls through to
> the end, resulting in the error.

Could you paste in the output of '/sbin/iwlist wlan0 scan' for the block
describing your AP?

Thanks!
Dan

Okay upon further investigation, I now know that its not the securities that networkmanager cannot get, but for some reason networkmanager is not recognizing my device capabilities. Specifically, the return values of nm_device_wifi_get_capabilities are not correct anymore (NM_WIFI_DEVICE_CAP_WPA is not set). How is networkmanager getting these capabilities? I know that I recently updated to dbus 1.2.4 (from 1.1), hal 0.5.11 (from 0.5.10) and udev 130 (from 118). Would those updates have in anyway changed the way networkmanager operates to grab these capabilities?