Re: NetworkManager 0.7 Released

On Sat, 2008-11-29 at 22:59 +0100, Sjoerd Simons wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 01:02:37PM -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I tagged, branched, and uploaded tarballs for the NetworkManager 0.7
> > release on Wednesday night.  Due to the US Thanksgiving holiday, there
> > wasn't time to mail out announcements until now.  Thanks to everyone
> > (especially Tambet!) who helped push the 0.7 release out the door; it's
> > been a long 2 years.
>
> \o/ :)
>
> > Get it while it's hot:
> >
> > ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/NetworkManager/0.7/
> > ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/network-manager-applet/0.7/
> >
> > Over the next few weeks, we'll get a schedule and feature list together
> > for the next release.  There's some great stuff queued up, and while we
> > can't get to all of it for whatever comes right after 0.7, we'll
> > certainly work hard to make the next major release cure both cancer
> > _and_ your connectivity problems.
>
> During the NM 0.7 cycle the ABI and/or API of both libnm-util and libnm-glib
> broke.  Unfortunately the soname wasn't bumped :(. Attached patch bumps the

Well... libnm-util did, but libnm-util for 0.6 was only meant to be used
between the applet and NM itself.  libnm_glib ABI/API should be the same
between 0.6 and 0.7, because the 0.7 libnm_glib actually includes all of
the 0.6 libnm_glib.

What specifically doesn't work with the new libnm_glib that used to work
with 0.6?  AFAIK any 0.6 app linked against libnm_glib should still be
able to use the new libnm_glib.

What _doesn't_ work is parallel-installing NM 0.6 and NM 0.7.  Ideally
we don't break the libnm-util or libnm-glib API/ABI for post-0.7 unless
we really have to, at which point the patch becomes useful...

Dan