Re: interaction of NM and pidgin

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 10:23:20AM -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-11-25 at 10:52 +0100, Alexander Sack wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 10:27:28AM +0100, Nikolaus Filus wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > since the upgrade to Intrepid and NM 0.7 I have problems with pidgin connection
> > > after suspend/resume AND disable/enable networking - sometimes pidgin is able to
> > > reconnect and sometimes it shows DNS resolver problems. The problem is always,
> > > that the hostnames
> >
> > Devices configured in /etc/network/interfaces will always pretend to
> > be online. If you have entries in that file it could be that pidgin
> > tries to connect even though you are not online yet.
>
> Not to be snarky, but now we see the other side of that coin... :)

Thats known. Point is that that side of coin is still a completely raw
copper, simply because I didn't want to put real work into this
without reaching consent here. Current implementation is really dumb
and says "online" when any unmanaged device is encountered.

The right implementation would also check that such an unmanaged
device has an IP. With that modification we would get (really close
to) zero false positives for "offline" and an almost as reliable
"online" as now.

(I am quite sure once we have zero false positives for "offline", we
can also convince firefox developers to reenable NM by default in 3.1
(or if its too late for that in 3.2) again.)

 - Alexander