Hostname set to localhost.localdomain at reboot

Hello there! I hear this is a common problem and I hear that you think
it's been fixed. However, it most certainly has not.

My computer is a Dell Vostro 1500 running Ubuntu Intrepid with the
latest updates as of today (11/20). My networkmanager package version is
"0.7~~svn20081018t105859-0ubuntu1", as reported by aptitude.

So I start my computer up normally. The /etc/init.d/hostname script runs
and sets my hostname to northbound, like it should be. Then,
NetworkManager runs and changes it to localhost.localdomain. Boo. Here's
an example session that I set up to show you just what I mean:

michael northbound:~$ hostname
northbound
michael northbound:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkManager restart
 * Stopping NetworkManager...
[ OK ]
 * Starting NetworkManager...
[ OK ]
michael northbound:~$ hostname
northbound
# About 5-10 seconds later:
michael northbound:~$ hostname
localhost.localdomain
# About 15 minutes later in a separate shell when NM's connected to my
network:
michael localhost:~$ hostname
northbound.uccs.edu
michael localhost:~$ aptitude show network-manager | grep -i version
Version: 0.7~~svn20081018t105859-0ubuntu1

Does anyone know how to help? I'd be happy to provide more details if
you'd like. Thank you for your time.
Michael