can't disable notification bubbles in nm-applet, or configure at all

Hi,

I'm running Intrepid with the default NM setup.  I have had no luck trying to configure the applet at all; in particular, I'd like to stop the repeated "pop-ups" every time a network disconnects or connects.  Since the icon changes shape to indicate connectivity, and I can easily hover over it, these are superfluous as well as incredibly annoying.  But the only menu options it seems to offer pertain to managing the connections.

I've found no help from documentation.  There's no man page for nm-applet.  nm-applet --help just starts it up!  In fact, so far as I can tell all command line options are completely ignored.  By googling around I found descriptions of nm-applet command-line options, but it's clear they don't work; I can only imagine this is for another version.

I've read every man page I can find on NetworkManager, and it describes virtually no configuration options at all.  nm-tool --help also just runs nm-tool.  As another example, I'd like some control over whether a connection goes onto the "Auto" list, but apparently it puts it there as soon as I connect once.

I hope this is the right mailing list for this question.

Thanks,

- J