Re: Network Manager Autologin

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 16:37 -0500, Slokunshialgo wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 13:46 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:

> > > Thanks for the input Alexander, much appreciated. What do other
> > > developers think of this approach? Tambet? Dan?
> >
> > Shouldn't be part of NM, but NM should expose all the necessary
> > information to allow auto-login to be possible using external tools.
>
> This makes sense, and is what I was thinking
>
> > If that includes requesting WSP information explicitly from the DHCP
> > server, that's great, we should add that.  The DHCP information is
> > already exposed over D-Bus and thus any app that listens for NM events
> > should be able to get it.
>
> What exactly is WSP?  I can't seem to find anything on it.
>
> > You can tie specific logins pretty easily to each connection's UUID,
> > thus if you know that your "Starbucks" connection just came up (as
> > opposed to any other connection) you could certainly match that up with
> > stored credentials and try to auto-login with those first before doing
> > any probing or whatever.  Basically, if the AP is at least WPA
> > encrypted, and NM connected, there's a 95% chance that nobody is
> > spoofing the connection, and that you really are connected to Starbucks,
> > so you can save some time probing by just trying stored Starbucks auth
> > info first, maybe.
> >
> > Dan
>
> The problem I see with using WISPr is that not all networks support it
> (the ones I have to log into, for example, don't), and if something was
> to be made it should work on any network.
>
> I know that this may seem like I'm overly invested or interested in the
> idea of using Firefox, but I'm looking at it from the standpoint of
> flexibility:
> - If it's not a WISPr network, it would still work
> - If the site needs any special javascript, popups, etc. they can be
> taken care of as per manual login
> - If there are any weird login errors, it's easier for the user to see &
> debug
>
> > Do we have per-user dispatcher scripts or are you suggesting to open
> > the browser as root here :) ?
> >
> > - Alexander
>
> God no!
>
> Reading what you guys have said, how does this sound?
> - Store the login page URL in NM, and transmit this along with other
> info when connecting, in case anything else wants to use it

Again, I don't think this should be or needs to be stored in NM at this
time...  NM connections have a UUID, so you can store the data in the
daemon that keys off the UUID when connections change.  Going forward we
can try to design a more comprehensive "get me an internet connection"
mechanism.

Dan