Re: Network Manager Autologin

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 02:13:37PM +0100, Pablo Martí wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 1:21 PM, Alexander Sack <asac ubuntu com> wrote:

> >> Ok, you're right, but listening for a DBus signal from a user process
> >> isn't all that hard either. Or do you prefer NM executing firefox
> >> directly (as root) like the original mail suggested?
> >>

> > Dbus would work. However, I dont really understand the use-case this
> > is supposed to cover. The browser usually redirects to the login site
> > anyway? What benefit would the user by such a firefox extension?
>
> The benefit is that the user is not redirected to the hotspot webpage,
> but is logged in automatically. It might seem a silly difference, but
> is a requested feature. Our customer requires WISPr/WSP capabilities
> and I'm very interested in the outcome of this thread.

I agree that it would be nice to be automatically logged in, but I
don't clearly see how why we need firefox to do that authentication.

Another idea would be to write a tray applet that recognizes when NM
goes online and the probes whether it gets redirected to hotspot
site. If thats the case the tray thing would authenticate and would
allow users also to end that session later (from the tray). This could
be done by nm applet itself, but as we dont really have a plugin
infrastructure for that yet I would suggest to make that a standalone
tray tool until we have more experience on what we really want
here. Would that work?

 - Alexander