Asking for wireless password when on wired network

I just upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 and like the improvements in Network
Manager.  I do have a few questions, though:

I've noticed that sometimes the WPA password dialog pops up asking for
my password.  I have my password stored in my keyring, and indeed the
password field is pre-filled out.

So, I just hit enter and then it connects.

Perhaps related, at one location in my house the wireless connection is
very weak, so I use a wired connection.  Now, when I have the wired
connection I still get the pop up asking for my wireless password.

Does NM just assume that if it fails to connect that it's an invalid
password?  Seems after a few attempts it quits asking for the password
any more.

Is that just something to live with?

Also, I see there's system settings now.  Does that mean I can save my
wireless passwords system-wide and have Network Manager bring up my
wireless before I actually log in?

BTW -- one thing I've always wondered:  I have an Apple laptop and the
wireless connects within seconds of waking the laptop up from sleep.
But, on my Ubuntu laptop it takes many times longer.  Is that Network
Manager being slow or the is that just how the wireless stack works on
Linux?

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley